SOUTH BAY NEWS!
1) 45th Parallel Park Letter of Intent ready for final signatures
2) Alpena Bi-Path Extension plans shaping up
3) South Bay is participating in the Community Foundations “Giving Tuesday!” on. Nov. 27
4) New donations to Partridge Point Park
5) Other stuff you might want to know
South Bay isn’t the kind of organization that shows progress every week, so we don’t bother you until we have something to say. Here’s an update:
- Land acquisition near for 45th Parallel/Peter Pettalia Memorial Park
Contingent on Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Wetland Permit approval, the 45th Parallel/Peter Pettalia Memorial Park is one step closer to fruition. South Bay representatives and the owner of property at the southeast corner of South Partridge Point Road and US-23 have negotiated a final purchase price of $10,000 for the 6.5 acre parcel. The Letter of Intent, which is being prepared for final signatures, includes these stipulations:
1) Purchase is contingent upon MDEQ approval for the park within two years of application.
2) Once completed, the park will include a plaque or sign honoring the property owner.
Larry Clark has been pushing the slow-moving wheels on this one; we’re grateful for his efforts.
- Alpena Bi-Path Extension plans rolling along:
Initial survey work is complete on the bike path extension. Funded by over $60,000 in grants and donations from Alpena Township and many area foundations and businesses, the final plan takes the path from its current terminus at Island Drive and the east side of US-23-S down to the proposed 45th Parallel Park site at US-23-S and South Partridge Point Road. Immediately beyond Island Drive the new path will continue on its present route past the homes just east of US-23 until, once by Burke Manor, it moves into the Alpena Power Company right-of-way through a wooded area to S. Partridge Point Road.
The idea to create additional bike path loops is still being worked on.
- Give to South Bay on Nov. 27 “Giving Tuesday”:
When the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan’s “Giving Tuesday” rolls around on Nov. 27, South Bay Corridor will be among the 60 area non-profit organizations and funds to participate. Last time CFNEM hosted Giving Tuesday, it raised more than $120,000 for worthwhile efforts across the community. Mark the date on your calendar and remember to contact the foundation with a gift for South Bay!
- New donations for Partridge Pt. Park from ACC, Bedrock, DNR Forestry Division, and Specification Stone:
Partridge Point Park, on the southeast tip of the Partridge Point Peninsula, is, accessed via North or South Partridge Point Roads and a small driveway called “Frog Lane,” is enhanced by a couple of notable donations. We thank Specification Stone, which donated a gravel train, Bedrock which delivered it, the DNR Forestry Division who spread it out to enhance the way in to this beautiful area on the western tip of the peninsual with great views on the bay and Sulphur Island! We thank Don MacMaster, president of Alpena Community College, and its Concrete Tech program for building and donating a concrete picnic table for the park, which will be set just outside the parking lot above the Ordinary High Water Mark, as required by the DNR.
Volunteers are asked to meet Nov. 2 at Frog Lane at 9 a.m. to brush back the vegetation.
- Other stuff you might want to know:
1) Kari Bleau, former Alpena Township Clerk and a member of the South Bay Board, resigned when she and her husband moved from the community. Nathan Skibbe, Alpena Township Supervisor, has filled that vacancy since the summer.
2) South Bay recently submitted a grant application to the CFNEM Youth Advisory Council, an organization of young people who dispense grant funds to organizations providing fun activities and recreational opportunities for area youth (like new parks and bike paths!)
3) Steve Lappan has joined the Alpena Township Board. Please join us in welcoming him!! His strong background in business is sure to be of value to the township.
4) A new survey for Alpena County is available at the link below. Please take the short time it takes to complete this as it will provide information to the county regarding planning. NOTE THAT THIS IS DUE BY OCT. 30!!
If you are interested in participating in this exciting project to improve economic development and provide recreational amenities for all pof Alpena, please contact Larry!
Taking Pride in Alpena, dba South Bay